Thursday, 28 July 2016

Riga- Latvia

28 July- arrived in Riga this afternoon via coach. Was a very comfortable way to get here- about 4 hours. The coach even had screens on the backs of the seats with movies , games, music etc. ended up watching Bridge of Spies- enjoyable Tom Hanks/ Spielberg production. Hotel is part of an old church- we have a very old corner heater in the room- the place is 16th/17th century. Similar to home. The hotel is also in the old city so again very convenient for sightseeing. Went for a walk after checking in and is a lovely looking old town. Found a restaurant full of locals- no tourists as far as we could tell. I had a seafood pasta dish which was the best meal I have had on the trip so far. I also inadvertently had a fair bit of alcohol. Was told it was happy hour and I should have a cocktail- I thought that meant half price so ordered some gin fruit combination. Mmm the waiter turned up with 2 shot glasses of liqueur for us plus I got 2 cocktails ( for the price of one). Pretty relaxed by the end of dinner but even so we both thought the food was excellent. There seems to be a music festival on so place is full of live bands. Great atmosphere. Half day walking tour tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment