Friday, 4 September 2015
Day 12 - Saint Gervais - beautiful sunny day so headed off for a hike with my cousin Steph. First headed into the village for coffee with Stephen and then left him to wander home while we drove to Champey, parked the car and proceeded to walk to Chalet de Miage for lunch. Had to borrow some clothing as the only suitable thing I appeared to have was some walking boots and a pair of lighter trousers. Steph kindly lent me a couple of tops, a backpack and some poles to assist with walking up and down the mountainside (not a lot of flat terrain). I foolishly thought I could stroll along in a pair of jeans and cotton t shirt. Having just got back, that would definitely not have ended well. The countryside was stunning and we ended up at this little restaurant where we shared an omelette and salad. We passed stunning views along the way along with cows and sheep with large bells so I felt I was an extra in a Heidi sequel. Steph was great - very patiently showing me how to navigate the uphill and downhill slopes with the poles. Apparently the trick with going downhill is to stick your poles in the ground out front, bend forward and walk somewhat like a cowboy - Steph technical description but it worked. We passed these lunatic trail bike riders both there and back. They whizz down these mountain tracks at ridiculous speeds. We passed a group towards the end where someone had come off and required an ambulance - crazy. Stephen is very slowly improving and we left him back home to read quietly and rest for the day. It is mid afternoon and I am definitely now ready for a rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment